Saturday, October 13, 2007

S.T.A.R.S.

I drove down to Toronto today to make a presentation at the Ontario Linux Fest. Myself along with Brad from the Bruce Grey Linux Users Group (BGLUG) were presenting on our STARS project.

STARS stands for Supplying Technology to At Risk Students.

Essentially we collect used computer equipment (nothing below a Pentium 2), make sure it all works and build computers for high school students who do not have access to a computer at home. BGLUG loads a version of Linux which is free shareware that has no licence and is not pirated software. The computers have their own version of a Power Point Presentation, word processor, spreadsheet etc. They are also set up to save in a Microsoft format so that the students can take their work to school and print it off.

We were invited to the Fest by Richard Weait after he attended HICK Tech in the spring and heard about our project there.

The audience was really receptive and many had heard of and were working on similar projects in their communities.

I also got to "Podcast" for the first time. I have no idea when it will be online but it was for LinuxLink Radio. This is a bi-weekly podcast geared towards developers of embedded Linux

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh there are so many reasons why I love technology... I was just catching up on my local feeds and I came across the STARS post. I can't wait to listen to the podcast presentation.

If you would be interested in another podcast interview about the topic I would love to put something up at theowen.com.

On a related note...I am also becoming very interested in the Linux desktop operating system. I have jut set my co-op student to task of setting up an old PC we had around the office with the latest version of Ubuntu (which was released today). The process and results of his efforts will be posted on the site to help out others wishing to pursue Microsoft free computing. Hmmmm, we should definitely talk more about this....