Friday, May 18, 2007

the long week...ends

Thank you to everyone who has emailed, called and dropped by to express thier concerns and outrage over the closure of the SALEP Centre. It has sent a strong message to these kids that there is a community that cares about them and that they are valued.

I have been in discussion with the school board and they are pursing a new avenue of funding to re-open the school, under a different program, but for the same 'at risk' students. I have given them my full support and we will be in constant contact with the school board as this process moves forward.

There was no blog on Thursday as I was at a seminar south of London. While I feel that you learn something new anytime you interact with others, I was frustrated with this seminar. I was told the seminar was on building community partnerships, it turned out to be on leaderships styles.

I know my leadership style, it adapts to the situation and my role in the community, I didn't need this seminar. I did give feedback to the organizers and one of them did agree with me it wasn't what she told me, or what she thought it was going to be.

But as with all things, I'm sure I got something out of it, and if nothing else it was a great road trip with one of my board members.

Today is deadline day! This is the day that agencies apply for funding from the United Way. Registered charities that service social service needs withing Bruce and Grey counties are eligible to apply for funding.

That makes it a busy day around here!

No comments: